Sunday, February 7, 2010

Eleven miles...and more to go!?!

Yesterday was my 11 mile mark...wow, to think last time I was training for a run, I was training with three other amazing women and this was our longest run. Now, I am training alone, and this is not the end, only the beginning, really. I am kind of worried about getting up there in miles, and being able to hold my body up and keep my energy up. I am doing push ups and doing pilates to cross train, but I need to lose some extra pounds...to really let my body conquer this silly goal of mine. The problem, running makes you soooo hungry, and I LOVE to eat...but, is it really worth it, or is training up to 20 miles a better feeling, than to just feel full for awhile. I was thinking a couple of days ago, why do I eat? My answers are different than that of 7 years ago, I eat to fuel my body, and to comfort,sometimes, which is what it always used to be. I need to get to the point where I eat to live, not live to eat, there is a difference.
I think the devil created all the yummy food in this world....I just can't stop sometimes.
Yesterday I was running in a drizzle of rain, on a road without sidewalks, livestock, skunks dead and alive, birds that did not fly south, pebbles in my shoes that hurt, but I didn't want to stop to take them out, and my mind was thinking. You would be amazed what goes through your mind on these long runs, no where to turn, except the turns on the long winding road, no one to talk to, and hopefully no one sees you.
I was trying so hard to have a good time, as in a good mile time, I was having an awesome experience, but I stopped to stretch halfway through, drink water, and eat some gels, mmmmmm, yummy, nothing better on a long run, and to tie my shoes, and situate the tongue of my shoes, it was digging into me, and of course at stop lights, I wish that you didn't have to do that, shouldn't people think, wow, that runner is at the speed she wants to be at, let's not have her stop at the light, let's stop for her? Ya, to good to be true. I am just glad that no one came to close to me, cars are scary, and they are big, and people don't watch, I've learned to look them in the eyes to make sure they see you.
I guess these experiences are why you train, and keep training...these months have been so amazing in my running life, I have accomplished so many things. I feel that I am a better person because of running, it has helped me to know that I can and will do hard things. I have taught my children that health is so important, and moving is vital. Hailey was running a couple of months ago at the gym with me, and she said to a much older person running too, "you need to run, or your going to die." Now that is extreme, but I'm glad she knows that exercise is key. That is something I wish I knew growing up. My parents had me in sports, but I thought it was to be the best....not for just overall good health.
Good healthy habits, are what I want to teach my kids, and I think showing them an example of that is key. I also want them to know, that we don't always have to win, I think that will take a lifetime to teach, but I will start young. I want them to know more, but that is a LONG and much more spiritual post.
Thanks for listening and reading, here's to many more miles....12 next Saturday!!! I encourage all of you who read my blog, to keep your personal goals and love doing them!!!
To all the runners out there, keep it up, the finish feels so good, better than In n Out...and yes, that is possible, for those who are wondering.

5 comments:

Rappleye Family said...

Thanks for the inspiration Jessica! Best of luck!

Dustin and Melissa said...

I just did my first 7 miles run on Saturday...my knees were hurting and the weather was frigid! But I loved it and I still cannot figure out HOW I am actually doing this! It is amazing how quickly the body builds strength and endurance when you are consistent. Thanks for your post! It was very inspiring!

Annie said...

You are so inspiring Jess! Thanks for that post. I loved it. I'm starting to run again, but definitely not as far as you! :) I'm so proud of you for training for a full! You are amazing! -Annie

RUNNERGIRL said...

Great job Jessica...and each mile up until the high miles are all worth it, trust me! Keep it up and as soon as my body has recovered and I can run again, i'll run some training runs with you. I'm still taking it slow, I tried running the other day and my hip hurt so I think i'll do a couple more weeks of cross training then back to the joy of pounding the pavement!

Lyndsi said...

Hey! You need to be eating food so you have the energy to run! And it sounds like by running 11 freaking miles you should be able to eat what you want, when you want! You look great anyway! Enjoy eating. It makes life easier to handle! :)