Monday, September 12, 2011

challenge!

I challenge you to a week of no TV, we did it, and it was great and hard. The first day, the kids asked me like 20 times to plug it in, the next day it was cut in half, and by the end of the week, they knew that a no in the morning was a no all day. It was great, we played more, talked more, and we imagined together. I really got to know what goes on in their heads. I took on the challenge too, no late night nothing for me. I missed a lot! Or did I? I got some sleep, and I was refreshed. I tell you, after Haileys party on Saturday, the BYU game was on and I hated to hear the noise! What a crazy thing.
Also, why did we do this? My kids love tv, and I love it too, but we needed to see that we can really function without it. I have been thinking about doing a no check blog week or Internet week. I feel that electronics have just taken over, I don't even have video games, I can only imagine that being a huge problem.
Parents: I would love to hear your comments on this, do you ever just want to throw everything out the "window", facebook, my space, blogging, tv in general, wii, playstation, x box, kinect, there are probably more, but I don't know of them. How much time do we all spend on these fun/relaxing things.
Just a thought.

4 comments:

Rappleye Family said...

Interesting.....made me think :)

Krystal said...

Just wanted to say thanks for your nice words on my blog! You are so sweet. And, I will definitely have to look up some pictures of Jake Gyllenhal (or however you spell it:) with a shaved head. I think he is dreamy, just like my husband of course, but have never thought they looked alike. Will definitely check it out!

As far as the no t.v. for a week, way to go! We are like you guys and don't even have any nintendo sort of things and we still end up with the t.v. on a lot or on the computer. I know we need to cut back, it's just a matter of doing it. I can remember loving when the power went out when I was a kid because we all talked more and usually played card games. All of these electronics in our lives definitely make some things more convenient or easy, but, sometimes it's nice to go back to being more simple and just plain ol' spending time together. What a good idea. May have to give it a try. Derek may say we have to wait for college football season to be over, though.... he waits for it all year long. :)

Krystal said...

Just looked up some pictures and I really can't believe it... he does look like him.

I love it!

Can't wait to tell Derek. :)

A Rosie Family said...

Good for you guys! We have actually gone with out a TV for a couple of weeks at a time on several different occasions. Not by our doing but because the TV was broken/needed repair. It is amazing how nice it is though. My kids used their immaginations and played with toys so much better than when they have the option of TV, or Wii or the Xbox. We are trying a lot harder since school started to limit the amount of TV watching.

I do have to admit though... I love to relax and watch my stupid reality shows I've taped all week on the nights Ryan has softball. A little guilty pleasure of mine I guess.